DLTK's Crafts for Kids
3D Cat Paper Craft
Thanks so much to Lucinda for sending this in!
This is a cute, simple paper craft that results in a 3D ornament you
can hang around the room -- or give it as a stand up card!
- paper (I prefer construction paper as it's a bit sturdier)
- string, thread, ribbon or wool
- Optional: crayons (or paint, markers, etc)
- Print template (there is only B&W available) and color as desired
- Cut out the template pieces (may require adult assistance and can be done before hand.
- Cut on one of the lines of each cat right up to the center.
- Slide the cats together, top to bottom (the image is the snowflake, but it works the same way).
- Glue a ribbon onto the top (or hole punch a small hole and tie a ribbon through
- instead of simply coloring the template, here are some thoughts for alternatives:
- small (1 inch) snips of wool
- dried coffee grounds -- glue to the template for a textured/smelly project - young children enjoy different tactile experiences
- grated chalk (take a piece of sidewalk or chalkboard chalk and rub it with course sandpaper to get chalk dust. Pour the dust over glue covered paper.
- There are some brief instructions written right on the template
- If you want your cats to be two-sided, print two templates out and glue matching snowflakes together back to back. Do everything else as directed.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).