Portraits and scenes cut from paper date back to ancient Greece. The word silhouette comes from the Frenchman Etienne de Silhouette who lived in the early 1700's. He was famous for his black and white silhouette portraits.
If you prefer, you can make this as a tissue paper stained glass craft!
- printer paper
- Optional: black paint
- Stained glass option also requires: tissue paper in various colors and waxed paper.
- Print the horse head template of choice.
- If using the black and white template, paint or color the entire horse head black and let dry.
- Cut out the horse head. This may require adult assistance for young children.
- Print the border of choice (black and white or color) or you can make your own from black construction paper.
- If using the black and white template, paint or color the entire border black and let dry.
Instructions: Horse Head Silhouette
- Glue the horse head onto a piece of white paper.
- Center the black border so the horse head touches the bottom, left corner and glue on the border.
- Trim any white that is sticking past the edge of the border
Instructions: Horse Head Stained Glass
- Cut out a piece of waxed paper at least as large as the border (you can always trim it smaller later, so make sure it is large enough).
- Tear different colors of tissue paper into pieces (I think it looks better when you tear them than when you cut them, but if your child is practicing scissor skills, feel free to cut!) You can make little squares or long strips like we did. Whatever you think looks pretty!
- Glue (or mod podge) the tissue paper to the waxed paper, make sure you overlap the colors a little.
- Let dry.
- Practice positioning your horse head and border so you know about where they need to be placed.
- Glue the horse head onto the "stained glass".
- Glue the border over the craft so the horse head touches the left side, bottom of the border.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).