DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Plate Bird
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This is an adorable and really fun craft for kids to make. This craft gives
kids the oppurtunity to express there creative side by decorating the birds nest
and making cute little birds to go inside.
Kaitlyn had a lot of fun making this craft and was tickled pink when she
finished making the pompom birds because they were SO cute. You can read
more about her experience making the bird nest on
- paper plate,
- brown paint,
- construction paper (earthy colors like brown, beige, orange etc),
- wool or string (earthy colors for the nest and vibrant colors for
- Optional: wiggly eyes
- Paint the bottom of a paper plate brown and cut it in half.
Cut strips of construction paper and wool (I used earthy colors like
brown, yellow, beige and orange) and glue them onto the bottoms of both
halves of the paper plate.
- Staple the two halves of the paper plate together to make a nest.
- Make a pompom bird (or several) using this
Pompom Craft. Use any color of wool you like (Kaitlyn used a
vibrant blue so that her birds would stand out in the nest).
- Make sure you make your bird big enough that it won't fall into the
- Optional: Glue wiggly eyes and a construction paper beak (cut a
diamond out of orange construction paper and fold it in half) onto the
pompom bird to give it a face).
- Optional: Stuff the inside of the nest with crumpled construction
paper or tissue paper.
Print friendly version of these instructions