DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Lion Paper Craft
Shapes, Scissor Skills, Colors, and
This craft can be used to teach a variety of skills. You
don't have to use all the thoughts for lessons... just choose the
ones you're working on with your child. For alternative suggestions
and ideas from viewers relating to this craft click
- Skip template 1 (the mane) altogether to give you a cute
Thoughts for Lessons:
- This craft has lots of nice large circles to cut out --
good scissor practice!
- You can precut the template into separate pieces (roughly)
to make it a bit easier for beginning crafters to cut out the
- have the children make a pile of all the circles.
Brainstorm items in the household that are also circles (a plate
- verbally instruct the children on how to assemble the shapes
using the colors of the shapes. (ie: Take the black
circle and glue it on the brown circle.).
- show the children two circles and ask -- is this one bigger,
smaller or the same size as that one.
- Count the circles.
- Count the circles of various sizes
Arrange the 8 dark brown circles and glue them together.
They should form a slightly squashed circle or rectangle shape
- These are from template #1 -- you need to print template
#1 twice to get 8 circles
- Glue the lighter brown, large circle on top -- slightly
- Glue the medium sized black circle (the nose) onto the bottom
of the light brown circle.
- Glue the two small black circles (the eyes) onto the light
- Glue on the 4 medium sized light brown circles. Two
go above the head (the ears) and two go below the nose (the
- Glue the medium sized white circle (the mouth) under the
And you're done!
print the B&W templates on construction paper. Template
1 should be printed on orange paper. Template 2 should
be printed on yellow paper.
- OR, just trace some circles using CD Roms, margarine container
lids and/or cups as your templates. Children enjoy tracing
circles. The black eyes can be made with a hole punch
and black construction paper.
- OR, as Sarah suggested, using foam pieces works
really well and gives the craft more dimension. For more
suggestions like this check out "DLTK's
Grow With Me" craft concept.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Template 1 (print twice)
Template 2 (print once)
Print friendly version of these instructions