[Elephants] [Frogs] [Giraffes] [Insects] [Lions] [Monkeys] [Owls] [Peacocks] [Snakes] [Tigers] [Other Jungle Animals]
DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Paper Mache Giraffe
- empty frozen juice container
empty soup can (no sharp edges).
- Optional: popsicle stick
- black marker
- yellow and brown paint
- cotton ball
- paper mache paste (1 part flour to 5 parts water... Boil about 3 minutes and let cool)
+ strips of newspaper and white paper
- Print template (giraffe head, neck and legs.
- Trace pieces onto a piece of cardboard (thin cardboard works ok but
corrugated cardboard is better).
- Cut out the cardboard pieces.
- Optional: Tape or glue a popsicle stick to the neck piece to make it stronger
- Paper mache the can and the template pieces (cover with 2 layers newspaper).
- Let dry (takes about a day for the paper mache to dry).
- Tape or glue the pieces onto the can.
- Paper mache the giraffe with strips of white paper or paper towel (the white paper is easier to paint than the newspaper).
- Let dry.
- Paint the entire giraffe with yellow paint
- Let dry.
- Dip the cotton ball into the brown paint and splat some dots onto the giraffe.
- Draw a face with black marker (or use wiggly eyes).
- Add a couple of pencils for a great gift from the kids!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE,
PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).