DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Mouse Toy (for Cats)
The project requires either sewing or hot glue skills. A child of age 7 or so could do the project with adult supervision. Younger children can help stuff the project.
This makes a great gift for a child to make for a pet cat for Christmas,
Valentine's Day or as a welcome to the family gift.
- two pieces grey or white felt
- one scrap pink felt
- small bell
- two pony beads.
- grey wool
- long piece of 1/4 inch elastic
- hot glue
- needle and thread
- Pillow stuffing, cotton balls or toilet paper if you'd prefer a pillow to
a bean bag
- dry catnip.
- scotch tape
- printer and paper
- Print out the template (see bottom of this page).
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Scotch tape the mouse body template to one of the pieces of grey felt.
- Cut the shape from the felt
- I scotch tape templates onto felt instead of pinning them as I find it easier... It doesn't "buckle" as much. It's very easy to just pull any tape off the felt after cutting
- Make sure you scotch tape liberally!
- Repeat with the second piece of felt.
- Scotch tape the large ear circle to the grey felt and cut out.
Repeat a second time.
- Scotch tape the small ear circle to the grey felt and cut out.
Repeat a second time.
- Hot glue the ear middles to the ears.
- Sew the two beads and the ears onto one of the body halves.
- Put the two body pieces together and hot glue
them, leaving a space at the bottom to add stuffing.
- Do a 2 to 4 inch section at a time (so the
glue doesn't harden on you).
- The less experienced you are with hot glue, the shorter the section should be.
- I usually have my daughter use a popsicle stick to press pieces together without getting any of the heated glue on her skin... I just use my fingers.
- My 9 year old daughter has been able to use my "low temp
craft glue gun" with supervision for a couple of years.
- Fill with stuffing and catnip and glue shut
- Sew three pieces of wool through the mouse. Braid to make a
- Sew the black elastic at the same spot as the tail (you'll use
this to pull around so the cat can chase the mouse).
- Sew the bell to the point of the mouse.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).