DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Gecko Paper Craft
This is a simple cut and paste paper craft good "just for fun",
a reptiles theme, or a Mexico theme.
Geckos are a type of lizard found in warm climates all over the world
-- including Mexico, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand. Geckos
come in lots of different colors including purple, pink, blue and green
so feel free to colour yours in pretty shades. Some species
of gecko can even change their color to blend in with their
Geckos have special feet that allow them to stick to things -- they
can easily climb up walls and trees.
- something to colour with if using the B&W version,
- glue, and
- Optional: wiggly eyes
- Print out the template of choice.
- Colour (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces.
- Pressing gently, use the tines of a fork or a ruler's edge to
"score" along the thin dotted lines on the template:
- score between the head and body
- score between each leg and body
- score down the center of the body
- scoring works well on thick paper (construction paper or cardstock) but not so well on printer paper. If you're using printer paper, score LIGHTLY so you don't cut through the paper.
- Flip your gecko over so you're looking at the backside. Repeat
the process of scoring, following along the same lines as before.
- Again, score lightly, especially for printer paper.
- Flip over so you see the colored side. Use tiny pinches to
fold along the line and give him a 3D effect.
- Decorate your gecko with the tongue, eyes and hearts. Instead
of the hearts, you could draw your own decorations.
- Fold the legs and head a little bit so it looks like your gecko is
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions