DLTK's Crafts for Kids
How To Make Balloon Plants
By: Merle O'Brien
(printed with permission)
Making Balloon Plants is a wonderful activity! You can also use
them to give as gifts, or to make at parties. Kids love making
them and you will enjoy watching your new plant grow :)
- Hold a balloon firmly by the neck. The neck is the long
part. Use a funnel, and pour 1/2 cup of dirt into the balloon.
Don't turn the balloon over. (Try to find clear balloons to
- Keep holding the balloon by the neck. Add about 1/4 cup of
water through the funnel. Be sure the soil in the balloon is
wet. It shouldn't be soggy, though.
- Use the funnel to drop the radish seeds into the balloon.
Don't turn the balloon over.
- If the balloon is dirty, wipe it carefully with a washcloth.
- Now you're ready to blow up your balloon! Keep holding it
gently by the neck. Now carefully blow air into the balloon.
You need to keep the balloon from tipping.
- Tie a knot in the neck to keep the air in the balloon. Tie a
ribbon around the knot.
- Tie the balloon to a hook or other place near a window. The
neck should be the top.
- Your balloon plant is ready to begin growing!
If you would like more fun activities to do, you will love Recipes4Learning.com's Monday thru Friday ezine "Recipes 4 learning".
To sign up just send an email with 4RL in the Subject Line to: Merle@sopris.net