DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Canadian Coffee Can Drum
Make this drum and then beat it while you are celebrating Canada Day.
- coffee can with lid
- red and white acrylic paint
- paint brushes.
- Two unsharpened pencils or pieces of dowel
- OPTIONAL: white spray paint
- OPTIONAL: Have an adult spray paint the entire can white beforehand to save time. It can be tricky to paint the plastic lid and
metal can. Spray painting ahead of time will make the painting easier and faster for the children.
- Have child test the coffee can… do they like to bang the pencils on the lid or on the aluminum bottom? Whichever they prefer will be the top of your drum!
- Unless you prepainted with spray paint, paint the entire can, including the top your base colour (we used white) and let dry. The bottom doesn’t
need to be painted.
- Paint a wide red stripe around the top and bottom edges of the cylinder and let dry.
- Print out the template, color and cut out the template pieces. Glue the template pieces around the can and
onto the lid and bottom if you like. (we used 4 maple leaves spaced equally around the can)
- OPTIONAL: paint your pencils or dowel (we used red)
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions