DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Can Hat Coin Bank
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
Make this great little coffee can hat and use it to collect spare change for
your favorite patriotic charity.
- printer and paper
- coffee can with lid
- red and white acrylic paint
- paint brushes
- thin cardboard, cardstock or red construction paper
- utility knife
- Optional: white spray paint
- Optional: Have an adult spray paint the entire can white
beforehand to save time. It can be tricky to paint the plastic lid and
metal can. Spray painting ahead of time will make the painting easier and faster for the
- Paint the can white (except for the bottom) if it was not done ahead of
- Paint the top of the can white.
- Paint wide red stripes around the can.
- Print out the template, color and cut out the maple leaves.
- Glue a template of a maple leaf onto the top of the can and equally around the outside of the can (we used 5
- ADULT HELP PLEASE! Cut a small slit in the plastic lid large
enough for coins using the utility knife.
- Trace a plate that is larger than the bottom of the can onto the
cardboard, cardstock or construction paper and then cut it out.
- Paint one side of the cardstock red if you did not use red construction
- Glue the bottom of the can to the middle of the cardstock to complete
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions