DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Make a Canadian Flag
Use a straw and printable templates to make your own Canadian Flag! We made this
craft with the girls in Kaitlyn's Sparks group (Age 5/6 group in Canadian Girl Guides). They all loved it!
- (optional) something to color with
- Print the template of choice.
- Cut out the template pieces (can be done by adults prior to craft
time -- I like to roughly cut apart all the pieces and then cut out the
maple leaves. The blocks can be cut by the children.)
Making a Canadian Flag – Leader Instructions
Project to be done in small groups (about 5 children and 1 adult)
Skills: Social Studies, Basic Colors, Fine Motor
- Instruct children to cut out the large white piece.
- Instruct children to print their names on the back of the large white piece.
- Collect white pieces from the children.
- While you staple the white pieces to the straw (two staples per flag),
instruct the children to cut out their red pieces. (The maple leaves are precut, so it’s just the borders they
need to work on).
- Redistribute the white pieces (with straws attached).
- Instruct the children to glue the red borders to the left and right sides of the flag.
- Instruct the children to glue the maple leaf in the center of the flag.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).