DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Canada Origami Fortune Teller
I'm sure we've all made these at some point in time (it used to be a
sleepover favorite). Kaitlyn, my 9 year old, loves to make them. She
does them with riddles on the inside (Q on the second layer, A on the third
layer), with "boyfriend" questions and with "future career"
questions. It seems that every time she makes one, she comes up with
something different to write on them!
If you have trouble with the instructions, try reading through the basic
origami instructions section.
- Valley fold paper from corner to corner, making a triangle.
- Valley fold the triangle from corner to corner, making a smaller
- Unfold everything -- you'll have a square of paper with an X
- Fold the corner to the center of the square (where the X crosses)
- Repeat with the other three corners.
- And you end up with a smaller square!
- Flip your paper over
Fold the corner to the center of the square (where the X crosses)
Repeat with the other three corners and you'll end up with an even
Fold and unfold the bottom edge of the square up to the top
Fold and unfold the left edge of the square over to the
so that the creases look like an astrix across your small square
- This bit is easier to do than it is to explain -- basically, you
want to push the four corners of the square together in the center
and then slide 4 fingers into the flaps of your fortune teller,
creasing the folds back so your fingers fit in nicely. You'll
be able to move the flaps with your fingers like little puppets.
- To play the standard version, Kaitlyn will
- ask your favorite color and then flap the fortune teller open
one way, then the other spelling out the color (ex:
B L U E)
- ask how many children (boyfriends) you'll have and then count
out the number, again flapping the fortune teller back and forth
- then ask your lucky number, lift that flap and read the person's fortune.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Fortune Teller Template
Print friendly version of these instructions