DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Recycled Magazine Holder
Kaitlyn came home with a science project last week asking her to REUSE something from home to make something new.
This is the project that she came up with and she has filled it with her favourite magazines and taken it to school for display.
- empty cereal box that is larger than a magazine.
- marker, pen or pencil (for making a cut line)
- Optional (for decorating):
- old magazines
- scrap paper
- scrap ribbon or wool
- hole punch
Decide how tall you want the front of the magazine holder to be:
- Measure and mark that distance on each side of the box.
- Draw a line connecting the dots across the narrow side of the box
- Ours is about six inches tall.
- Draw a diagonal line connecting the line you measure on one side to
the opposite corner at the top of the box. Repeat on the other
- Cut the top portion of the box off along the lines you just drew.
- Paint the entire outside of the box with acrylic paint:
- Kaitlyn used white for her project.
- Depending on the color you choose it may require two coats to cover properly.
- Decorate your box however you like. Suggestions:
- use markers to draw and color pictures on your box.
- Cut out pictures from old magazines and paste them on the box.
- Cut fancy shapes from scrap paper and paste them to the box
- make paper beads
and string them onto wool or ribbon. Use a hole punch to make a hole along the edge of the box and then tie the wool or ribbon onto the box
Print friendly version of these instructions