May Day occurs on May 1st and is celebrated in many countries in the northern hemisphere.
|May Day Coloring Pages, Posters and Tracer Pages|
|May Day Crafts|
|May Day Poetry|
|May Day Printable Jigsaw Puzzle|
|May Day Worksheets|
|many of our Spring Flower Crafts might suit too!|
May Day marks the end of the cold winter season and the beginning of the farmable year.
May Day celebrations (old and new!) include:
- The modern secular May Day festival celebrated in the Americas and Europe with dancing around the Maypole and the crowning of the Queen of May.
- Walpurgisnacht or Walpurgis Night -- the germanic evening celebration complete with bonfires and dancing -- it continues to be celebrated in Germany, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic and Estonia.
- Beltane -- a Gaelic festival that celebrates the arrival of spring with evening bonfires and dancing -- this stopped being celebrated for many centuries, but has recently been revived and is again being celebrated as part of a gaelic cultural revival(mainly in Scotland).
- The Floralia -- the ancient Roman festival of Flora -- the Roman goddess of flowers and fertility -- no longer commonly celebrated.
- The ancient Greek festival of Chloris -- the Greek goddess of spring, flowers and new growth -- no longer commonly celebrated.