DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Egg Carton Fire Truck
Thanks to Jodie for contributing this great craft! Don't you just love it when they turn out better than you imagined...
- lid (TOP) of an egg carton
- red paint or markers.
- OPTIONAL: small cutouts of people from magazines, coloring books or hand drawn
- OPTIONAL: black construction paper or 2 lids from milk jugs (for wheels) instead of using the template,
- OPTIONAL: black marker
- cut the lid off an egg carton.
- Paint (or color with marker) the lid red.
- While the paint is drying, print out the template below.
- As an alternative to the wheels on the templates, cut 2 circles out of black construction paper
- (you can have the children trace the lid from a baby food jar or orange juice container -- preschool kids enjoy tracing). Use white
crayon, chalk or pencil crayon for tracing.
- Allow the children to cut out their circles with safety scissors (or supervise them closely while they use regular scissors).
- The wheels don't have to be perfectly round -- let them have fun.
- use the lids from milk jugs as an alternative to construction paper wheels
- OPTIONAL: Also while the paint is drying, have the children cut small images of people from magazines or coloring books or let them draw their own.
- once again, let the children roughly cut out the images with safety scissors.
- Once the paint is dry, glue on the wheels, ladder and the "Fire 911" label or if your child is printing, let them print
"FIRE" on the truck with black marker.
- Jodie used a Rolo candy wrapped in red foil for the light/siren (very creative).
- OPTIONAL: Glue the images of people onto the fire truck. The carton we used had holes down the center, so we glued the people
into the holes.
- If yours doesn't have holes, just glue the people onto the fire truck... you can draw "windows" around them with a black marker.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
"I just wanted to say that I love your website.
You have crafts and stuff for everything. For Fire Prevention Week this week I looked up some activities and found the egg carton fire truck.
Great idea. I decided to do mine a little different than yours but it was the same look.
I attached the file to show what they turned out like (just in case you was wondering).
Again I love your website, keep up the great work. Thank you."
Print friendly version of these instructions