DLTK's Crafts for Kids
New Year's Crown
A simple construction paper 'hat' the kids have fun making,
decorating and wearing!
- white or black construction paper
- 2 pipe cleaners (we used sparkly gold ones, but any color would
- tissue paper (we used gold, but silver, black or white would be
- thread (we used black)
- Print template of choice
- Color as necessary (if using the B&W version)
- Cut out the template pieces
- OR freehand cut 4 stars or clocks from construction paper
- Cut 2 or 3 strips of construction paper about 4" wide and as long as
you can make them
- Tape the pieces end to end to make a really long piece.
- Wrap around the child's head to measure how long you need and trim off the
excess (don't tape into a circle yet).
- Make 5 or 6 tissue paper flowers and tape to the front of the
- stack 3 or 4 squares of tissue paper on top of each other (size should
be about 4"x4")
- fan fold (accordion fold) the tissue paper
- tie tightly in the center with a piece of thread
- separate the layers one at a time
- roll a piece of scotch tape to attach the flower to the front of the
crown (long construction paper strip)
- Wrap the pipecleaner around a pencil to make a 'spring' with
it. An adult can wrap the first couple loops and then hand it
over to the child to finish.
- Straighten about 1/2 inch of the top and bottom of the spring (so
it's easier to do the taping).
- Repeat with the other pipecleaner.
- Tape a star or clock onto the top of each pipecleaner. Flip over and glue
or tape the 3rd and 4th shape onto the back of the 1st and 2nd (to
sandwich the pipecleaner in between the shapes).
- Tape both pipecleaners to the long piece of construction paper so they
either sit at the front of the head or the sides of the head
- Tape the construction paper ends together to form a crown and put it on!
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions