DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Moon Rock Craft
Now I know that someone is bound to ask me what a moon rock looks like and the answer is (as Tasha would say)
"Don't know, never seen one."
I am pretty sure that real moon rocks don't look nearly as nice as the kid's versions
will! Just put out a variety of materials, show them a few painting methods, and they'll
take it from there.
(other than the rock, everthing else is optional... Basically we're just looking for something to decorate the rock with).
- A rock
- Paint (various colours)
- White glue
- Tissue paper or napkins (various colours)
- Craft scraps (material, felt, feathers, sponges, etc.)
- Sand, sparkles or fine dirt
- Sparkle glue or marker
- Toilet paper roll (what a shock! *grin*)
- Wander around outside with your child to find the
perfect "moon rock"
- Bring it in and wash off any dirt... let it dry.
- Put out a variety of paints, tissue paper and
- If using tissue paper, it's best to rip it into 1
inch or so pieces before gluing onto the rock.
- If using tissue paper, it's best to rip it into 1 inch or so pieces before gluing onto the rock.
- Decorate your moon rock in whatever fashion you
like. Some ideas are:
- Paint it.
- Older children can paint it black and then drag a feather dipped in white paint over it to give a marble look.
- Youger children can sponge paint it or dab a
textured material or felt over it when the paint is still wet.
- Glue on pieces of torn tissue paper or napkins.
- While paint is wet or with glue applied, roll it
around in a bowl of sand, sparkles or fine dirt to coat with "moon dust".
- Paint it.
- Once your moon rock is dry, you can place it on
top of a toilet paper roll which will act like a pedestal.
- (You can decorate the toilet paper roll too and write
"My Moon Rock" with sparkle glue or a marker).
- An adult may need to cut the toilet paper roll down a bit if
it is too wobbly (a shorter piece of toilet paper roll will be more structurally sound). Do this
before decorating the roll.
- If your rock is too big to sit on a toilet paper roll, you can substitute a yogurt container, margarine container, ice cream pail... (just don't hurt yourself lifting boulders!)
- (You can decorate the toilet paper roll too and write "My Moon Rock" with sparkle glue or a marker).