DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This creative craft makes an adorable and realistic dragon using an egg
carton and template. It's a good craft for children practicing to tie knots and is suitable for a fantasy or mythological
- egg carton
- red paint and paintbrush,
- wool or string,
- a printer,
- some crayons,
- paper for the printer
Cut six of the egg carton cups out of the egg carton.
Paint five of them red on the outside; these will make the body of
Paint one of the cups red on the inside and on the outside; this
will be the head.
- Use a hole punch to punch two holes in four of the cups that make up
the body. Put the holes on the edge of the cups directly across from each
- Punch one hole in the last of the body cups on the edge of the cup.
- Punch one hole in the cup that will be the head, punch the hole in what
would be the bottom of the cup.
Use wool or string to tie together the cups of the egg carton. Once
tied together they should make a long line of egg carton cups; the head
should be at one end and the body cup that only has one hole should be at
the other end.
- Print out the template, color it if necessary and cut out the pieces.
- Glue the eyes onto the edge of the cup that is the head.
- Glue the tongue onto the inside of the cup that is the head.
- Glue the horns onto what would be the bottom of the cup that is the head
so that when you look at the dragon it looks like the horns are on the top
of its head.
- Glue the front legs onto the cup right behind the head.
- Glue the wings onto the cup third from the front.
- Glue the back legs onto the cup second from the back.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions