DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Phoenix Toilet Paper Roll Craft
This is a simple three
dimensional craft that is fun for kids to make and play with. It makes a great project for preschool and kindergarten kids and works well with
various fantasy books or a Greek mythology theme.
- toilet paper roll or cardboard tube,
- something to color with,
What is the Phoenix?
In Greek mythology, the phoenix was a bird that lived in Arabia. Each morning the phoenix would awake and bath in a well near its roost. While it bathed, it sang a beautiful song that the sun god Apollo stopped to hear each dawn before he drove his sun chariot across the sky.
According to the myth, only one phoenix existed on earth at a time. When it grew old, the phoenix would build a nest of myrrh. The phoenix would
settle its tired, aging body into the center of the nest which would burst into flames when the sun rose. The phoenix would be consumed by the
flames and from the ashes of the ancient bird, a new phoenix would be reborn.
- Print out the craft template of choice.
- Color (if using the black and white version of the craft) and cut out the template pieces.
- Glue the large rectangular piece on first to cover the tube.
- Glue on the head and tummy.
- Glue the wings on the back of the toilet paper roll.
- Fold the feet tabs and glue to the inside, bottom of the toilet paper roll to give it a three dimensional effect.
- Fold the tab on the tail and glue to the inside, bottom of the toilet paper roll to give it a three dimensional effect.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).