DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Fourth of July Tree Craft
There are a variety of versions to the craft to add complexity for older children.
The craft is simple enough for young kids to contribute but still fun for even mom to make. I like doing the tissue paper version but it's
tough for preschoolers to make -- the templates are more appropriate for them.
There are a number of variations on this craft depending on which templates you print:
- Template Version (younger children): print the trunk template and the maple leaves template and paste the leaves on the tree.
If you want a very well covered tree, print two copies of the stars template. Draw a picture to fill in the bottom of the
template like Kaitlyn did!
Tissue Paper Version
Tissue Paper Version (older children): cut 1.5 inch squares of tissue paper, wrap around the eraser end of a pencil and glue to the
trunk template. Tasha made the tissue paper version with a homemade trunk (see below) and added some green construction paper afterwards
to make it look like grass.
with "homemade" trunk.
Rather than using the Trunk template, you can decorate a "homemade" trunk. To make the trunk, trace your child's arm from the
elbow up, including the fingers, cut it out. We pasted our homemade trunk on a piece of white construction paper but you could also use
regular white paper.
- something to colour with.
- You will also need finger paint if you choose the first option.
- Print out the template of choice.
- Colour pieces, as necessary. (For a change of pace, try using different mediums than you typically do, such as paints or pastels).
- Cut out the pieces. This step may require adult assistance. Don't worry too much about getting the tree branches cut out perfectly.
- Glue the stars all over the tree to decorate.
- You can glue the entire tree to a decorated background (blue construction paper, with green tissue paper for grass and white cotton
balls for clouds works very nicely!)
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions