DLTK's Crafts for Kids
All About Hungary Paper Quilt Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This is a great cut and paste paper craft project for learning about Hungary. It includes some symbolic icons,
the flag and a map of Hungary.
This turns out to be quite a large project (about 25 inches x 25 inches) and there are lots of templates to print.
Note: If you'd like a smaller project (both in size and time) do a 4 square quilt instead of a 9 square quilt:
only print templates 1, 2, 4 and 5.
Alternatively, you might like to have a group of children each make a quilt piece or two and then assembling everyone's
pieces into one quilt.
- something to color with,
- Optional: red or green construction paper
Notes about the images:
Image 1: Traditional Hungarian embroidery decorated folk
costumes, table linens, bookmarks, doilies and bed covers. It
typically depicts colorful flowers and dates back to the middle ages
when girls learned to embroider at a very young age.
Image 2: The spice, paprika, is made by grinding dried
peppers. It was first developed in Spain, but Hungary is the country
most famous for it. It is used to season and add color to soups,
stews, rices and sausage.
Image 3: Statues of the Turul can be found throughout
Hungary. In Hungarian mythology, the Turul is the divine
messenger who sits atop the tree of life.
Image 4: More embroidery - this time on a traditional
Hungarian folk dress.
Image 5: The flag of Hungary has three stripes: red,
white and green.
Image 6: In Hungary, the belief in vampires has existed
since the Middle Ages. The Hungarian actor, Bela Lugosi,
starred as the first movie vampire. The opening chapter of
Bram Stoker's Dracula took place in Hungary.
Image 7: The Rubik's cube was invented by the Hungarian
sculptor and professor of architecture Ernő Rubik.
Image 8: Hungary is a landlocked country in the Carpathian
Basin in Central Europe, bordered by Austria, Slovakia, Ukraine,
Romania, Serbia, Croatia, and Slovenia. Budapest is the capital city of Hungary.
Image 9: Hungarian Mézeskalács (or honey cakes) are made
like gingerbread, but with honey instead of molasses. They are
typically made in the shape of a heart with a small mirror set in
the center and the Hungarian words, “from a heart, to a heart”
written on them with icing.
- Optional: This is optional, but I really like to include
it as part of the craft if I'm making the 9 square quilt.
- Print the "Top Border Template" in either color or B&W.
This is the bit that says HUNGARY along the top.
- Color the template pieces if using B&W
- Cut out the template pieces
- Assemble the pieces to make a strip about 20 inches long and 3 inches tall.
- Print templates 1 to 9 to make a 9 square quilt
OR print templates 1, 2, 4 and 5 if you're making a 4 square quilt.
- Color each template piece if using B&W
- this can be quite time consuming and can be done
over two weeks of learning about the country (a square
per day and 1 day for assembly = 10 days)
- this can be done as a group project with each child completing a square and then assembling it as a group.
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Apply glue to the gray parts of the template and
assemble (you can look at the image at the top of this page
to see what piece goes where) After assembling, there
should be no gray left showing.
- Optional: I was torn whether to add this as the
project is already quite time consuming. It's up to
you whether you want to do it!
- Glue 4 inch wide strips of red or green construction paper
all around the outside of your project to form a border.
Use scissors to cut a slight wave in this border so it
looks like a quilt.
- Print 3 copies of the fringe template for a 9 square
quilt or 2 copies for a 4 square quilt. Cut out
the pieces and glue them around the outside of the quilt
as a border, overlapping the pieces slightly so there
are no gaps.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Top Border Template
Quilt Square Template 1
Quilt Square Template 2
Quilt Square Template 3
Quilt Square Template 4
Quilt Square Template 5
Quilt Square Template 6
Quilt Square Template 7
Quilt Square Template 8
Quilt Square Template 9
Optional Fringe Template
Optional Info About the Images
Print friendly version of these instructions