DLTK's Crafts for Kids
All About Norway Paper Quilt Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This is a great cut and paste paper craft project for learning about
Norway. It includes some animals, symbolic icons,
the flag and a map of Norway.
This turns out to be quite a large project (about 25 inches x
25 inches) and there are lots of templates to print.
Note: If you'd like a smaller project (both in size and
time) do a 4 square quilt instead of a 9 square quilt:
only print templates 1, 2, 4 and 5.
Alternatively, you might like to have a group of children each make a quilt piece or two and then assembling everyone's pieces into one quilt.
- something to color with,
- Optional: red or blue construction paper
Notes about the images:
Image 1: The European elk (same animal as a moose in North
America) is the national animal of Norway.
Image 2: The term Viking (from Old Norse víkingr) is
customarily used to refer to the Norse (Scandinavian) explorers,
warriors, merchants, and pirates who raided, traded, explored and
settled in wide areas of Europe and the North Atlantic islands from
the late eighth to the mid-11th century.
Image 3: Vikings used their famous longships to travel as
far east as Constantinople and the Volga River in Russia, and as far
west as Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland, and as far south as Al
Image 4: The polar bear is an arctic animal found in parts
Image 5: The flag of Norway has a dark blue cross with a
white border on a red background.
Image 6: The Coat of Arms of Norway is a crowned, golden
lion holding an axe on a red background. It is often referred
to as the "Norwegian lion".
Image 7: Fishing remains an important industry in Norway
with many of their traditional recipes (such as Lutefisk) being fish
Image 8: Oslo is the capital city of Norway. It is a
long narrow country, mostly coastline, containing many glacial
Image 9: In Norse mythology, trolls are frequently
described as being extremely old, very strong, but slow and
dim-witted. They remain close to nature (dark forests,
especially) and are said to turn to stone in the sunlight.
Tourist shops throughout Norway sell lots of different cute little
- Optional: This is optional, but I really like to include
it as part of the craft if I'm making the 9 square quilt.
- Print the "Top Border Template" in either color or B&W.
This is the bit that says NORWAY along the top.
- Color the template pieces if using B&W
- Cut out the template pieces
- Assemble the pieces to make a strip about 20 inches long and
3 inches tall.
- Print templates 1 to 9 to make a 9 square quilt
OR print templates 1, 2, 4 and 5 if you're making a 4 square
- Color each template piece if using B&W
- this can be quite time consuming and can be done
over two weeks of learning about the country (a square
per day and 1 day for assembly = 10 days)
- this can be done as a group project with each child
completing a square and then assembling it as a group.
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Apply glue to the gray parts of the template and
assemble (you can look at the image at the top of this page
to see what piece goes where) After assembling, there
should be no gray left showing.
- Optional: I was torn whether to add this as the
project is already quite time consuming. It's up to
you whether you want to do it!
- Glue 4 inch wide strips of red or blue construction paper
all around the outside of your project to form a border.
Use scissors to cut a slight wave in this border so it
looks like a quilt.
- Print 3 copies of the fringe template for a 9 square
quilt or 2 copies for a 4 square quilt. Cut out
the pieces and glue them around the outside of the quilt
as a border, overlapping the pieces slightly so there
are no gaps.
- Close template window when done printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Top Border Template
Quilt Square Template 1
Quilt Square Template 2
Quilt Square Template 3
Quilt Square Template 4
Quilt Square Template 5
Quilt Square Template 6
Quilt Square Template 7
Quilt Square Template 8
Quilt Square Template 9
Optional Fringe Template
Optional Info About the Images
Print friendly version of these instructions