DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Star Cross Stitch Patterns
Two beginner cross stitch patterns for children to make!
Both patterns works well as a bookmark on 6 or 6 count aida cloth. It also makes a nice picture on plastic canvas or 6
count aida (terrific for beginners!).
To learn more about cross stitching, check out our "How
to Cross Stitch" directions.
When I do these projects with the girls, I encourage them fill in the backgrounds with cross stitch instead of leaving it
unstitched. The long rows of single colored stitches are terrific
practice. But it's completely up to you! It does make the
project take a lot longer.
You can also skip the words on the templates if your child is just
working on cross stitching not backstitching.
- Embroidery Floss Used for the Yellow Star pattern:
- Embroidery Floss Used for the Pink Star pattern:
- feel free to substitute colors!
- If you have left over floss lying around you can use that too
(ex: cherry red instead of pink)
- Aida cloth with a low number (6 count Aida is 6 stitches per inch while 10
count is 10 stitches per inch... The lower the number, the bigger the
project ends up being and the easier it is for a beginner to complete)
- 6 count would give you a 5.0 x 8.3 inch finished project
- 8 count would give you a 3.8 x 6.3 inch finished project
- 10 count would give you a 3 x 5 inch finished project
- plastic canvas,
- embroidery hoop (a must! unless you're using plastic canvas),
- needle (20 or 22 work well, but any that fit 3 strands of floss will do)
- Print out the template of choice.
- fold cloth in half and then in half again to find the center.
- Place hoop around cloth. Start as close to center as you can.
- cut about 18 inch pieces of floss and divide in half (so you have 3
strands of floss to work with).
- Start cross stitching! To learn more about cross stitching, check
out our "How to
Cross Stitch" directions.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Pink Star Cross Stitch Template
Yellow Star Cross Stitch Template (color)
Print friendly version of these instructions