Print out the spider puzzle template and encourage children to solve the clues to fill in the crossword. There is an easier, "picture crossword", option and a more standard type of crossword available.
Information on Ages/Skills for the different crossword difficulties:
- Picture Crossword with word list:
- intended for preschool through grade 1 children who are learning to read and form their letters
- children sound out words from the word list and then match them with the picture
- children copy the words from the word list into the crossword puzzle
- Picture Crossword (no word list):
- intended for grade 1 through grade 3 children who are learning to spell
- children use the picture clues to figure out the words that go in the crossword
- children print the words from the picture clues into the crossword puzzle
- intended for grade 1 through grade 4 children
- children use the verbal clues and the word list to figure out where the words go in the crossword.
- children print the words from the word list into the crossword puzzle
- intended for grade 3 and up
- children use the verbal clues to figure out the crossword
- children print the words into the crossword puzzle
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Picture Crossword - answer key B&W
Regular Crossword - answer key B&W