DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Swan Fingerprints Craft
contributed by Leanne Guenther
I love fingerprint crafts and, as an adult, I still do them on a regular basis when making cards for people.
I use dye-based ink pads intended for fingerprint or stamp projects but when crafting with kids I opt for non-toxic tempera paint as it's a safer option (in case someone decides to taste the paint or wipe their hands on their t-shirt. Lol)
You can make these swans on a dark coloured background with white paint or you can make black swans on a white background with black paint. Or, you can make your own brightly coloured swans with any colour of paint you like! ("peacock swans"?)
I've provided a swan template and a letter S template (both make lovely swans) but you can also encourage the kids to draw their own letter S or simple swan.
- Tempera paint (whatever colour you want your swan's tail feathers to be)
- Thick paper towel or napkin
- Construction paper (in a colour that contrasts with your paint colour)
- Print out the template of choice or draw your own.
- Cut out and colour the swan template.
- Glue the template piece onto your piece of construction paper, leaving room for the tail.
- Put a dollop of tempera paint on a napkin or folded up piece of paper towel. This is going to act as your fingerprint "ink pad".
- Stick your finger onto the paint on your napkin and dab it off a little bit onto the napkin so you still have some paint left on your finger, but it isn't a great big glob.
You might want to practice making a few fingerprint marks on a scrap piece of paper to get an idea of how much paint you want on your finger!
- Stamp your finger behind the swan's body to start forming the tail feathers.
- Continue sticking your finger into the paint, dabbing it off a little and stamping it onto the paper to make a beautiful big tail for your swan. 10 to 20 prints should be about right.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Template (swan) (color) or (B&W)
Template (letter s) (color) or (B&W)
Print friendly version of these instructions