Do you have an old t-shirt with a hole in the sleeve, a stain on the front, or you just never wear anymore? This is a perfect project for repurposing an old t-shirt into an adorable bag. These bags are great for all sorts of purposes like grocery shopping, carrying books, as a lunch bag or sports bag, etc.
This craft is suitable for older children and adults. This is a very simple craft: it does not require many materials and takes less than an hour. This is also a great way to make a t-shirt bag if you have a t-shirt with a really fun design on it that you want to show off on your new bag!
- old t-shirt,
- Lay your old t-shirt flat and use a pair of scissors to carefully cut off the sleeves, neck area (so that it aligns with the sleeve cuts), and the bottom hem.
- Now cut little (1/4"-1/2" wide) strips on the bottom of the shirt.
- I make mine about 1" long so that I can still tie them but they don't use up too much of the bag's space.
- If you want more of a fringe at the bottom you can make the strips as long as you want!
- TIP: While you are cutting the fringe take both the front and the back layer of the tshirt so that you have pairs of strips.
- Tie the strips together at the bottom in pairs until all of them are tied together and the bottom of the t-shirt is closed. Now you have a bag!
Big thank you to Marcy Ursu to sharing this wonderful idea with us! Here are a few of Marcy's t-shirt bags. Her daughter is thrilled to use the pink pineapple bag as a school lunch bag!