This snake turned out better than we first imagined. We used wool to
tie the cups together and the snake actually slithers when you drag it
You can paint your snake whatever color you like.
We used wiggly eyes for our snake but you could draw them on or make your own.
- cardboard egg carton - you need five cups
- green and brown tempra paint (or any other colors you want for your snake)
- paint brush
- string, wool or pipe cleaners to assemble your snake
- sharp pencil
- red construction paper for the tongue
- wiggly eyes and glue or black marker or red construction paper for the eyes
- Cut 5 cups from the cardboard egg carton and trim to smooth out the tops.
- Paint each of the cups green first and let dry. At least one cup should be painted inside and out. This will be the cup for the head.
- Paint a brown stripe over the middle of 4 of the cups.
(The cup without the stripe is the one for the head.)
- Arrange the painted cups in a line the way you want your snake
to look. (See picture below.) The cup that is the head should be standing
- An adult should take care of poking holes in the cups with a sharp pencil.
- Tie each egg carton to the next using wool. This will
allow your snake to wiggle and slither.
- TIP: if you have trouble putting the wool through the hole tie a foot long piece of wool to a 3 inch piece of pipecleaner and use that as a "needle and thread"
- NOTE: Remember, the head is different from the other pieces. Stand it up and poke a hole through the top. Tie a large knot in the wool to hold the head on (or if you have a large hole, tie a small bead or button to the wool so that the head doesn't slip off).
- Cut a tongue shape from red construction paper.
- Glue the tongue into the head of the snake.
- Glue on wiggly eyes or draw eyes on with a marker
- or cut eyes out of red construction paper and draw an eye slit in the middle of each with a black marker