About Johnny Appleseed
Now for those of you who don't know about Johnny
Appleseed (who was a real person) here are a few tidbits of information:
- born in Leominster, Massachusetts on September 26, 1774.
- real name: John Chapman.
- He was a nurseryman who realized that there was a real need for
service in supplying seeds and seedlings.
- In order to assure stability of the newly established homesteads, the
law required each settler to plant fifty apple trees the first year. Because of the
poor transportation that existed in the interior in those days, apples were a practical
necessity in the early settlers' diets.
- Johnny sold and gave away trees to the pioneers.
- Johnny was deeply religious and it is said that he carried the Bible
with him everywhere.
- Johnny Appleseed died at the age of 74 after more than 50 years