DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Islamic Prophets Mobile
This is a simple mobile featuring the 4 prophets names written in calligraphy (Abraham, Jesus, Moses and Muhammad) plus a central "Peace be upon them" square.
The Qur'an prohibits using images of people or animals as they may be mistaken as idols. In Islam, geometric designs, floral motifs and calligraphy are often used. These templates reflect this.
You can make your mobile a number of different ways:
- Criss cross straws or dowels with strings hanging from each of the four ends and the center.
Poke holes around a paper plate and hang strings, plus one string through the center.
My favorite (since it uses the most recycling): Thread a string through the center of a paper towel roll and hang strings in a row. I also like this method because you can hang it flush up against a wall.
- a printer,
- some crayons, paint, markers or pencil crayons,
- straws, sticks, paper plate or paper towel roll, and
- string and yarn.
- Print out the template of choice... There are 2 prophets on template
1 and 2 and the message is on template 3.
- Color (where appropriate) and cut out the template pieces along
the dotted lines.
- You can colour with sparkle glue if desired or use paint,
crayons markers or pastels. New mediums are always fun for kids.
- Fold the rectangles in half and glue the back and front together.
- Poke a small hole in the top of each template and tie with yarn
or string to the mobile you've chosen (straws, sticks or paper towel
- If you're doing a criss cross mobile, we like to cut a big
circle of cardboard (cereal box) or use a paper plate.
Poke a hole in the center and string it on top of the criss
cross -- this helps the template pieces balance better (you
don't have to worry so much about the mobile leaning to one
side). You can let the kids decorate the circle/paper
plate with paint, markers or stickers.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP in most browsers).
There are three templates for this craft:
(Thanks to Letitia for suggesting and helping with the Arabic name templates!)
Prophets Jesus, Moses, Abraham and Muhammed
Prophets Isa ibn Maryum, Musa, Ibraheem and Muhammed
the "Peace Be Upon Them" template.