Do you ever look at your puzzle collection and realize that most of the puzzles are incomplete? I lose puzzle pieces all the time, so I try to find some unique ways to use the leftover pieces.
This craft is really fun and not overly complicated, plus in the end it is a lovely decoration! You can let your creativity shine with this craft by painting the pieces however you would like.
You can also use all sorts of materials to make the top of the mobile. I used a metal hoop wrapped in suede rope because I had some supplies leftover from previous school projects. But you could also use a coat hanger, popsicle sticks in a criss-cross shape, or whatever you think.
- puzzle pieces,
- paint and paintbrush,
- string, wool, or thread,
- the mobile structure (crotchet hoop, metal hoop, popsicle sticks, hanger, etc.)
- Paint the puzzle pieces. Be as creative as you want with the colours and try some different techniques like splatter painting, finger painting, patterns, etc.
- Let the puzzle pieces dry completely.
- Cut several lengths of string (I used 4 because I had a small hoop for the mobile structure, but you can make your mobile as big as you want!).
- TIP: Make the string longer than necessary so that you can use the excess string to attach the strings to the mobile structure.
- Tie the string around the puzzle pieces so that you make a long chain.
- TIP: If you have large puzzle pieces you could just tie one puzzle piece to each string whereas if you have small puzzle pieces you can tie several.
- Make your mobile structure:
- You can use a hoop (metal hoop or crotchet hoop that you can find at most crafting stores).
- You can use a coat hanger.
- You can use popsicle sticks and glue them into a criss-cross shape. The strings would be tied to each of the four ends of the popsicle stick mobile structure.
- TIP: If you have any left over ribbon, rope, etc. you can wrap that around your structure too.
- Tie the ends of your puzzle piece strings to the mobile structure. Leave some excess string on the top to hang the mobile later.
- Tie the excess strings together above the mobile structure (unless it is a coat hanger) and use a push pin to attach it to the cieling.