You can just use the paper templates and make a 'temporary' one (it will last a year or two).
Young children can make it (it's easier for them to do the paper version), but even pre-teens through adults will enjoy creating this cute doorknob hanger.
For a slightly easier doorknob hanger, check out our Uncle Sam doorknob hanger instructions.
- 2 pieces of ribbon (we used blue -- red or white would be nice too!)
- 1/2 inch to 1 inch wide
- each piece should be about 1 1/2 to 2 feet long
- glue (white school glue or tacky craft glue).
- scotch tape.
- something to color with (if making the B&W paper version)
Instructions - paper version:
- Print out the craft template.
- Color the craft pieces if using the black and white version of the template.
- Cut out the template pieces.
- Glue the doorknob hanger together as follows:
- The oval piece is the face.
- Glue the beard to the back of the face (yes! the back).
- Glue the smaller round circle (mouth) sticking out under the mustache.
- Glue the mustache to the front of the face so it covers where the face meets the beard.
- Glue the larger round circle (nose) above the mustache.
- Glue the eyes above the nose.
- Glue the hat above the eyes.
- Glue the mittens behind the beard so it looks like his hands are sticking out.
- While Uncle Sam is drying, lay the two pieces of blue ribbon out on the table and tie a bow in the top to attach the pieces together.
- Take the three letters (USA) and glue them to the ribbons. Make sure you leave lots of room at the top for Uncle Sam and for the ribbon to slip over the doorknob. You might want to look at the photo at the top of this page to see exactly how this works.
- You may want to use a bit of scotch tape to hold the letters in place while they dry
- Glue Uncle Sam to the top of the ribbons... Again, make sure you leave enough room at the top so the ribbon will slip over the doorknob. You can use the scotch tape again to hold Uncle Sam in place
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).