DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Covered Wagon or Chuckwagon Craft
Covered wagons were used extensively during the pioneer times of the
United States and Canada to move people and goods west across the
prairies of North America. They were also known as prairie
A chuckwagon was much smaller. It carried food and
cooking equipment used by cowboys while they were moving cattle on the
prairies. In modern times, chuckwagons are are part of a popular
rodeo race event.
You can make a horse toilet paper roll craft and a cowboy toilet
paper roll craft to accompany this one.
- rectangular box (tissue paper or shoe box) -- we used a tissue box
- construction paper
- tape or glue
- Wrap the box completely with construction paper (we used brown).
- Trace a small circle (we used a vitamin bottle) four times on
black construction paper.
- Glue the circles onto the box as wheels.
- Optional: Use markers to draw a Western type picture on
another piece of construction paper (or use the template provided or stickers or sparkles).
- Tape the decorated construction paper in an arch over the shoe
- Optional: We just decorated everything freehand but I've provided a template with a decoration for the cover and four wheels that you can print out and use.
- Close the template window after
printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if
you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or
FILE, PRINTER SETUP in
Print friendly version of these instructions