DLTK's Crafts for Kids
Icarus Toilet Paper Roll Craft
Contributed by Leanne Guenther
This is a fun and simple color, cut and paste paper craft that uses a toilet paper roll as a base to give it a three dimensional effect.
The Icarus craft can be used to accompany many Greek mythology themes, fantasy themed books and movies or it can be made just for fun.
In the Greek myth, Icarus flies too close to the sun with wings made by his father Daedalus. The wax holding the feathers onto the wings melt from the heat of the sun and Icarus falls into
- a toilet paper roll,
- something to color with,
- a piece of paper
- Print out the template of choice.
- Color the pieces as appropriate and cut them out.
- Glue the large rectangular piece around the toilet paper roll.
- Glue the smaller rectangle around the bottom of the toilet paper roll (these are the legs).
- Glue the thin rectangle around the center of the toilet paper roll (this is the belt).
- Glue the arms to the sides of the toilet paper roll.
- Fold the tabs on the feet and glue them inside the toilet paper roll to give it a three dimensional effect.
- Glue the head onto the top of the toilet paper roll.
- Glue the wings to the back of the toilet paper roll.
- Close the template window after printing to return to this screen.
- Set page margins to zero if you have trouble fitting the template on one page (FILE, PAGE SETUP or FILE, PRINTER SETUP in most browsers).
Print friendly version of these instructions